First, I did some research. It quickly become apparent that between Google's sync and backup plus what I could copy from the filesystem, all that was left would be SMS/MMS. Message Sync looked promising so I loaded it. I then performed the following:
- Placed the phone in Airplane mode to prevent new data from showing up.
- Used Message Sync to back up her SMS/MMS to the phone's storage.
- Mounted the old phone on a computer.
- Used rsync to mirror the phone to an external USB drive.
- Unplugged the old phone and powered it off.
At this point, I loaded the Message Sync application from the the Play Store and then did a "synchronize" operation. My wife had about 7500 SMS/MMS messages and the synchronization took a bit of time. I wrote this paragraph and previewed it in the time it took to synchronize. So not too bad from a time perspective. But it failed to restore anything. :(
We have used Backup to Gamil for automated SMS/MMS backups and it can restore SMS but not MMS. Unfortunately, it wanted to restore all 75000 SMS she has sent and received over the years. This is a fail. No MMS and way too many messages.
Third attempt was SMS Backup and Restore. Seemed simple enough but no hint of MMS support. This doesn't appear to be a very fast application but maybe it will get the SMS from one point to another.
I have given the new phone to Michele. I will wipe the old one once she thinks all is OK.